Symmetry Investments | Many Varied Roles | REMOTE or VISA (London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey) | D, Julia, Kotlin, other functional and systems languages | Full-Time, Fixed Term, Flexible
## Roles we are hiring for
- Business Analysts: business analysis, documentation, team and tool design
- Native Code Developers: We are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D. Our experience has been that strong C and C++ developers can learn D quite quickly.
- Functional programmers to work with practitioners in delivering value to the business using Symmetry Integration Language.
- Documentation: At Symmetry we recognise the value of writing and have for example a Pulitzer prize-winning former WSJ journalist and a maintainer of Linux Kernel Newbies documentation. We are looking for people to write technical documentation and to document data structures and processes (open to varying range of technical ability depending on the project).
- Front end design: designers - ideally with some ability to program - to work on usability and aesthetics for our applications and other information-presenting systems, on both web and desktop
- Designers for documentation: Now that non-programming internal work is moving to markdown in git, we are hiring designers to work on templates and mini-logos for documentation and other work.
- Data Science: time series analysis in particular, including high frequency data sets that are too big for simple tools
- Information Security: incident response, threat intelligence, vuln management
- Platform: Platform as Code, Site Reliability Engineers, Windows desktop support; frontline server support and administration; application support
- Legal and Compliance: #lawyerswhocode or who are very comfortable working with markdown in git
- Accounting: are you the sort of person who would use #ledger-cli ? If so, we would like to hear from you.
- Business: risk, operations, administrative, organisational design and business strategy, investor relations processes, talent acquisition, human resources (HR)
- Investment: Economics, Quant, Portfolio Research, Investment Research, Portfolio Management and Trading
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning, alternative data research and management
Location: Remote or sponsorship for a visa in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey
Term: full-time permanent, fixed-term contract, flexible hours.
- Dlang (D)
- we do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
## Qualities and traits we value
- Courage and daring
- Phronesis (practical wisdom), common sense and commercial orientation
- Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be
- Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
- Inclination and ability to notice and understand links between seemingly-unrelated things
- Extreme motivation
- Mechanical sympathy
- Extreme and unusual intellectual capabilities
- A love of tinkering
- Good taste and love of beauty
## About Us
Symmetry Investments is a post startup USD 9+ billion alternative asset management company with around 250 people across multiple time zones and locations.
Our core technology team has been remote-first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, accelerated by the pandemic.
I'm co-CEO and co-COO, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm.
We are five years into a period of transformation from what was initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager. [Amaury Sechet](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR4PSExnqk) and [Atila Neves](https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/) have been working with us as long-term consultants and we have many other talented people with lower public profiles.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming, but are oriented towards solving business problems, with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. SIL can compile and call C++, D, and C# at runtime and interoperate with Python and R. What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D and we have a close involvement with the D Foundation and community, hosting DConf in London. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Haskell, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and Chief Investment Officer starts asking you questions about your work.
## Symmetry Talks
- Presenting SIL-cling to Compiler Research Group at Princeton (https://youtu.be/7teqrCNzrD8)
- Symmetry Internship Project - calling C++ from SIL (http://dconf.org/2020/online/index.html#alexandru)
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://youtu.be/FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://youtu.be/1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)
- Please apply using this general link (https://jobs.lever.co/symmetryinvestments/c8a9b95e-bdf0-459c...) or to specific roles listed here (https://jobs.lever.co/symmetryinvestments?lever-source%5B%5D...).
SimplePay | Kotlin / Java Developers | UTC+0 to UTC+8 | REMOTE
SimplePay is a profitable, developer-owned online payroll software company, with solid growth. Our software lets 28,000 (and counting!) small business owners (and their accountants) run their South African, Ireland, Singapore and Hong Kong payrolls without headaches, so they can focus on the challenge of building their businesses. We're also developing new product lines - for example, we're doing a new time tracking and staff scheduling system.
We've decided to add Kotlin to our stack for server-side development. Experienced Java developers who want to get into Kotlin are also welcome to apply. As much as I enjoy Ruby on Rails (and it's definitely helped us succeed), refactoring is becoming more painful the larger our code base becomes (using Sorbet helps, but can only take us so far). We intend to use Kotlin for the new products we're launching as well as to rewrite selected components of our existing system where it makes sense. I haven't coded in a statically typed language in years, but I've been writing Kotlin lately, and it feels surprisingly productive.
We haven't decided on a web framework yet. I don't mind Spring Boot, but investigating lighter weight alternatives would be great too (you can tell I have many battle scars from dealing with framework upgrades). We use PostgreSQL as our DB server. On the front-end, we mainly render plain HTML, but use Vue.js on the pages that need more interactivity - this role is more focused on the back-end, but front-end skills are welcome too. As you can see from our no-nonsense stack, we prefer to keep things simple with robust, proven technologies, so we can focus on solving client issues.
Our development team was already mostly remote pre-pandemic. We have a very supportive culture, and are continuously putting a lot of thought into ensuring remote work is happy work.
Location: UTC+0 to UTC+8
Please apply at https://teamsimplepay.applytojob.com/apply/WyQYFOo1wB/Experi...