Symmetry Investments | Many Varied Roles | REMOTE or VISA (London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey) | D, Julia, Kotlin, other functional and systems languages | Full-Time, Fixed Term, Flexible
## Roles we are hiring for
- Business Analysts: business analysis, documentation, team and tool design
- Native Code Developers: We are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D. Our experience has been that strong C and C++ developers can learn D quite quickly.
- Functional Developers to work with Practitioners using Symmetry Integration Language to deliver value to the business.
- Documentation: At Symmetry we recognise the value of writing and have for example a Pulitzer prize-winning former WSJ journalist and a maintainer of Linux Kernel Newbies documentation. We are looking for people to write technical documentation and to document data structures and processes (open to varying range of technical ability depending on the project).
- Designers for documentation. Now that non-programming internal work is moving to markdown in git, we are hiring designers to work on templates and mini-logos for documentation and other work.
- Information Security: incident response, threat intelligence, vuln management
- Platform: Platform as Code, Site Reliability Engineers, Windows desktop support; frontline server support and administration
- Legal and Compliance: #lawyerswhocode or who are very comfortable working with markdown in git
- Accounting: are you the sort of person who would use #ledger-cli ? If so, we would like to hear from you.
- Business: risk, operations, administrative, organisational design and business strategy, investor relations processes
- Investment: Economics, Quant, Portfolio Research, Investment Research, Portfolio Management and Trading
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning, alternative data research and management
Location: Remote or sponsorship for a visa in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey
Term: full-time permanent, fixed-term contract, flexible hours.
- Dlang (D)
- we do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
## Qualities and traits we value
- Courage and daring
- Phronesis (practical wisdom), common sense and commercial orientation
- Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be
- Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
- Inclination and ability to notice and understand links between seemingly-unrelated things
- Extreme motivation
- Mechanical sympathy
- Extreme and unusual intellectual capabilities
- A love of tinkering
- Good taste and love of beauty
## About Us
Symmetry Investments is a post startup USD 7+ billion alternative asset management company with around 230 people across multiple time zones and locations.
Our core technology team has been remote-first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, post-COVID.
I'm one of the three people running the firm, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm.
We are four years into a period of transformation from what was initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager. Amaury Sechet (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR4PSExnqk), Andrei Alexandrescu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U7WAlKpQ) and Atila Neves (https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/) have been working with us as long-term consultants and we have many other talented people with lower public profiles.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming, but are oriented towards solving business problems, with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. SIL can compile and call C++ and D at runtime; Python interop is in alpha; and C# is on the way. What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D and we have a close involvement with the D Foundation and community, hosting DConf in London. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Haskell, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and CIO starts asking you questions about your work.
## Symmetry Talks
- Presenting SIL-cling to Compiler Research Group at Princeton (https://youtu.be/7teqrCNzrD8)
- Symmetry Internship Project - calling C++ from SIL (http://dconf.org/2020/online/index.html#alexandru)
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://youtu.be/FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://youtu.be/1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)
- Email bcheung at symmetryinvestments dot com and cc jthompson at symmetryinvestments dot com with the words hackernews in the subject line.
Koddi | Currently seeking FT employees in the following locations: Ann Arbor, MI | Fort Worth, TX | Austin, TX | New York, NY Open roles: Senior Software Engineers (Go, Java, C, C++);Site Reliability Engineer ; Senior Software Engineering Leads/Manager (all locations); Product Owner (adtech experience preferred); Senior Data Engineer; Data Scientist Manager; Passionate about development in leading technologies? Looking to become a major player on a diverse team? Want to make a big impact on an engineer-driven roadmap in your next career adventure? Koddi Engineers drive innovation by embracing challenges and deploying emerging technologies to solve complex problems in software development.
Koddi is a technology company that was born in 2013 from an opportunity to innovate in the adtech space. Our award-winning SaaS platform provides a robust network for brands to connect with consumers and drive revenue through native sponsored placements, metasearch, and programmatic media campaigns.
Based in Fort Worth, Texas, we’ve grown to become a diverse global team. Ranked by Forbes, Deloitte, and Inc. magazine as one of the fastest-growing companies in the nation, we’re growing rapidly and looking for innovative problem solvers to join our team.
Review all open roles at www.koddi.com/careers and apply directly, or send your resume to email@example.com. We are 100% remote until 2021, likely to return in a flex capacity thereafter. Please reach out with any questions. We are not currently seeking external recruitment partnerships at this time.
Neuralynx | on-site Bozeman MT | or REMOTE | Full-Time https://neuralynx.com/
We are looking for a top-flight software engineer to join a dynamic engineering team to help us deliver quality products to our customers. Our cutting-edge products are used in medical and research facilities to expand human knowledge in neuroscience and neurology. You will have the opportunity to work on innovative software projects, new hardware systems, and applications focused on providing customers with the acquisition and analysis tools they require. With the opportunity to apply your design, architecture, and solid development skills, this position offers a myriad of opportunities to learn.
Venture Research Inc. | Software Engineer | Plano, TX (Dallas, TX, DFW) | Onsite Only | http://www.ventureresearch.com
Interested in RFID? In improving inventory and replenishment processes in hospitals, labs, and clinics? In automatically tracking pallets, containers, and other assets around a facility? Come join us!
Venture Research is a leader in the RFID industry and is consistently pushing the leading edge of what is possible using RFID technologies. We have a variety of opportunities available for both fast-paced new product design and development as well as for development on some of our long-term stable products. 20 year old small but growing company, privately held, with excellent benefits, 401K matching, paid health insurance and highly competitive salary and bonus structure.
We are hiring for the following positions:
* Frontend Web Developer: HTML/CSS/JS, Vue. Django experience a plus.
* Embedded platforms engineer: C, Linux, Android NDK. Our team is trying out Rust! Experience with hardware co-design a plus.
* Senior .NET / Backend developer: C#, ASP.NET, MSSQL, Oracle, Postgres.
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the email in my profile. Thanks!
Red Leader Tech | Hiring in Mountain View, CA| Onsite, Fulltime
Red Leader is redefining software in lidar for autonomous sensing. Our patented architecture enables 30x the resolution over current state-of-the-art methods. It’s dynamically controllable in software, easy to manufacture, and we’re already working with top 10 automakers and suppliers. We're backed by top VC's and looking for great people to bring this future to light.
Head of Software - Lead role focusing on embedded software development, digital signal processing, real-time operating system, and C/low-level background. Ideally also FPGA & SoC experience - BS and MS/PHD.
Embedded Software Engineer - Embedded software role focusing on digital signal processing, real-time operating system, and C/low-level background. Ideally also FPGA & SoC experience - Master’s or Ph.D. preferred
Digital Hardware/FPGA Engineer - Digital hardware role focusing on FPGA(Xilinx) design, Soc design, verilog, and Digital Signal Processing - Master’s or Ph.D. preferred
Please email resumes to email@example.com
Graphcore | Hiring in Palo Alto, Seattle, New York City & Texas | Onsite, Fulltime
Graphcore is the most exciting AI hardware start-up in the world. We are building a new class of processor – the “Intelligence Processing Unit”, or IPU – designed from the ground up to both deliver breakthrough performance and efficiency on today’s Deep Learning workloads and to enable innovators to create the next generations of machine intelligence algorithms. Graphcore has an experienced, world-class (and rapidly growing!) team with products coming to market very soon. Customer demand for our technology is overwhelming – we can choose to partner with the leading organizations in the field.
Field AI Engineer/Machine Learning - Customer-facing role, focusing on AI/Deep Learning, ideally also with C/C++ or Python background- Palo Alto, Seattle, New York City & Texas - possible remote BS and MS/PHD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or similar technical field bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
AI Applications Software Engineer - A more focused engineering role, somewhat less customer-facing than FAE above - Focused on strong AI/Deep Learning and/or C++/performance programming skills – ideally we want a mix of both - Seattle & Palo Alto - Master’s or Ph.D. preferred
Based in Korea - Field AI Engineer/Machine Learning - Customer-facing role, focusing on AI/Deep Learning, ideally also with C/C++ or Python background- Fluent in English
Please email resumes to Graphcore@stealthmode.co
MBition | Embedded/Backend/App Software Engineers, Architects, Product Owners, DevOps, various roles | Berlin, Germany | Full-time | ONSITE (mobile office possible and currently used by everyone due to COVID-19), REMOTE for special cases possible
MBition is a 100% subsidiary of Mercedes-Benz RD. Traditionally focussing on infotainment software (in-vehicle infotainment, smartphone apps, cloud backend), we are extending our focus to other domains in the car gradually, e.g. ADAS (advanced driver-assistance systems). We have many cool projects going on and generally we try to bring state-of-the-art modern professional software development paradigms to the automotive world. Our shareholders/mothership puts big trust on us. We are a product development and delivery team. Our stack contains (among others) C++, C, Qt, Yocto, Linux, QNX, AWS, Jenkins, Gitlab.
comma.ai | Software Engineers + Infrastructure Engineer | ALL FULL-TIME | ONSITE ONLY
Comma is a profitable company solving self driving cars while delivering shippable intermediaries. Tesla Autopilot like functionality for your Toyota, Honda, and more.
We’re hiring: Software engineers to develop openpilot through new features, simulation, and testing infrastructure.
Infrastructure engineer to work on our tooling, regression tests, and simulator.
Our stack is largely Python, with some C/C++ and JS(React)
Interview Process (roughly) = Coding challenge + 2 phone screens + paid micro-internship on site Visit https://comma.ai/jobs for more detailed job descriptions
*Reach out with a GitHub/LinkedIn to firstname.lastname@example.org
VDX.tv (http://www.vdx.tv) | Remote Engineers & Developers | Full-time | REMOTE
Established company (20+ years) looking for mature generalists to contribute remotely. You can be anywhere in the world so long as you:
● Are self-motivated and can work independently
● Have experience with many languages but can be effective in any language
● Appreciate that all mature software solutions accumulate technical debt and understand how to continually reduce debt and complexity
● Understand how to build highly reliable systems and be responsible for taking code to production
● Understand that code simplicity and readability are more important for long term maintainability
● Want to work on challenging problems and impactful work without being micromanaged
We're hiring across disciplines for engineers who work with Unix and have fluent written and spoken English:
● Backend Servers: Strong in C, Concurrency and Distributed Computing
● Backend Servers: Strong in Java
● Data Science: Strong in Math/Physics/CS + Python, Linux, SQL
● Frontend Development: Strong in Angular / React / Vue JS and Node JS, Data intensive dashboards, frontend design and architecture patterns
● System Infrastructure: Strong in private and public cloud, infrastructure as code, scripting and programming.
Full-time only. Remote only. We start out on a full-time trial contract basis for up to 3 months and use this period as an extended work interview for both sides to assess fit for long-term employment.
Please email email@example.com if this sounds like the right fit for you.
Brown University, Center for Computation and Visualization | Research Software Engineer | Providence, RI | Full-time | Onsite | https://ccv.brown.edu
The Brown University Center for Computation and Visualization (CCV) is a research computing center with a team of data scientists, research software engineers, system administrators, and other technologists. We partner with researchers across the Brown University community, as well as the associated hospital partners. We work on problems that span a huge continuum of subject matter areas. We currently have several long-running collaborations with researchers across many disciplines (e.g., neuroscience, computational biology, computer vision, psychiatry, sociology, engineering, environmental science, public health).
Our data scientists and research software engineers partner with researchers to solve hugely diverse problems. The nature of our work varies considerably depending on the projects, but we consistently have research projects that involve machine learning, web app development, mobile apps, high-performance computing (HPC), genomics data, VR/AR.
Our general tech stack includes: Python, R, Julia, Rust, Node, Vue, MySQL, Postgres, Docker, and GCP. In addition, on the HPC side of the house we add to that: C, C++, and CUDA.
We have a few roles open now, and plan to have more in the coming months. We especially encourage folks from historically under-represented groups to apply. The postings are listed at the link below. Check us out; we'd love to hear from you!!
Splitgraph (https://www.splitgraph.com) | Remote | Full-time
Splitgraph is reshaping how organizations interact with data. We provide a unified interface to discover and query data. In practice, this means we're building a data catalog (a web app) and query layer (implemented with the Postgres wire protocol).
We're a seed-stage, venture-funded startup hiring our initial team. The two co-founders are looking to grow the team by adding multiple engineers across the stack. This is an opportunity to make a big impact on an agile team while working closely with the founders.
Splitgraph is a remote-first organization. The founders are based in the UK, and the company is incorporated in both USA and UK. Candidates are welcome to apply from any geography. We want to work with the most talented, thoughtful and productive engineers in the world.
* Senior Software Engineer - Frontend. Responsible for the web stack, mainly involving Typescript, React, Next.js, Postgraphile, etc.
* Senior Software Engineer - Backend. Responsible for a variety of core services, using Python, Poetry, Postgres, C, Lua, and a ton of other technologies.
Learn more & apply: https://www.notion.so/splitgraph/Splitgraph-is-Hiring-25b421...
HAProxy Technologies | Pre-Sales, Software, & Systems Engineers, Technical Marketing Engineer | Waltham, MA | Paris, France | REMOTE
HAProxy Technologies is the company behind the world's fastest and most widely used open-source software load balancer.
- Technical Marketing Engineer: We are looking for a Technical Marketing Engineer that can aid in creating and promoting technical content. This position requires a unique combination of technical understanding, a high level of creativity, attention to detail and eagerness to learn, as well as the goal to teach others. Basic Linux experience is a must. An ideal candidate has real world experience in a DevOps or SysAdmin environment (bonus if you have programming exp.)
- Pre-Sales Engineer We are looking for a skilled Pre-Sales Engineer with in-depth knowledge in Linux who will help to expand our client base. Experience with load balancing and networking is a requirement.
- C: We are looking to reinforce the development team of HAProxy and are looking for developers who have solid skills in Shell, C, HTTP, TCP/IP and Git. Knowledge of cloud environments is a plus. We are looking for people who are not afraid of patching the Linux Kernel and who can quickly become autonomous.
- Golang: We are looking for Go developers with 2+ years of experience in Kubernetes and Cloud environments, as well as load balancing. A Bachelors or higher degree in IT is desirable. If you want to contribute to the software enabling performance and reliability of some of the largest websites on the internet.
- Senior Systems Engineer: We are seeking Senior Systems Engineers (Linux) to work out of our Waltham, MA office or remotely in the EST/CST/MST/PST time zones. Knowledge of HAProxy is a plus.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracerco | Lead Embedded Software Engineer | Billingham, UK | ONSITE
Tracerco specialises in instrumentation and detection, particularly for the petrochemical industry. Part of Johnson Matthey plc - excellent pension and benefits. Seeking a lead embedded software engineer in the product development & innovation department. This role will manage a small team of 3-4 embedded developers and work closely with other disciplines, particularly electronics engineers and applications software engineers. Applicant must be able to contribute code as well as lead the team and drive improvement in processes.
Technologies: C. Git, Azure DevOps, unit testing. FreeRTOS. Understanding of electronic design and troubleshooting a plus. Experience of industrial communications protocols (e.g. Modbus, Hart) a plus. Experience with low-power, battery-powered and intrinsically safe devices a plus. Some work-from-home likely acceptable post-pandemic, but needs to be onsite some of the time for collaboration electronics work, and integration testing.
Rapid7 | Software Engineer (Rust, C, C++), security agents | San Francisco | Full-time remote during Covid, onsite after
We have a cloud-based application security system that uses agents at the customer site to send threat detections.
We're looking for someone who will work on our agents for NGINX (Rust, C), Apache (Rust, C), and Envoy (Rust, C++). You'll also contribute to our core security library which is in Rust.
Interested? send your resume to paul_callahan at rapid7.com
Abbym.io | Lisbon, Portugal | Full-Time | REMOTE We're a new startup, producing innovative audiovisual software : multimedia / video editing / visual effects.
We're looking for C/C++ Senior Developers, Game Developer (GPU Programming), Web Front-End Developer / Designer. You need good English & writing skills
Contact us for more information, introduce yourself and what you're looking for https://abbym.io/
Man Group Alpha Tech | Quant Python Engineer | London, UK | Onsite | Full Time
As a Quant Python Engineer in Alpha Tech at Man you will be building the tools, frameworks, libraries and applications which power our Quantitative Research and Systematic Trading. This includes responsibility for the continued success of “Raptor”, our in-house Quant Platform, next generation Data Engineering, and evolution of our production Trading System as we continually expand the markets and types of assets we trade, and the styles in which we trade them. Your challenges will be varied and might involve building new high performance data acquisition and processing pipelines, cluster-computing solutions, numerical algorithms, position management systems, visualisation and reporting tools, operational user interfaces, continuous build systems and other developer productivity tools.
Our systems are almost all running on Linux and most of our code is in Python, with the full scientific stack: numpy, scipy, pandas, scikit-learn to name a few of the libraries we use extensively. We implement the systems that require the highest data throughput in Java. For storage, we rely heavily on MongoDB and Oracle.
We use Airflow for workflow management, Kafka for data pipelines, Bitbucket for source control, Jenkins for continuous integration, Grafana + Prometheus for metrics collection, ELK for log shipping and monitoring, Docker for containerisation, OpenStack for our private cloud, Ansible for architecture automation, and HipChat for internal communication. But our technology list is never static: we constantly evaluate new tools and libraries.
Alpha Tech has a small company, no-attitude feel. It is flat structured, open, transparent and collaborative, and you will have plenty of opportunity to grow and have enormous impact on what we do. We are actively engaged with the broader technology community.
o We host and sponsor London’s PyData and Machine Learning Meetups o We open-source some of our technology. See https://github.com/man-group o We regularly talk at leading industry conferences, and tweet about relevant technology and how we’re using it. See @manquanttech Essential Skills o Exceptional technology skills; recognised by your peers as an expert in your domain o A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: agile development, continuous integration, code review, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches o Expert knowledge in one or more programming languages, preferably Python, Java and/or C/C++ o Proficient on Linux platforms with knowledge of various scripting languages o Strong knowledge of one or more relevant database technologies e.g. Oracle, MongoDB o Proficient with a range of open source frameworks and development tools e.g. NumPy/SciPy/Pandas, Pyramid, AngularJS, React o Familiarity with a variety of programming styles (e.g. OO, functional) and in-depth knowledge of design patterns.
If you're interested, please get in touch with Milly Parrott email@example.com