Symmetry Investments | Many Varied Roles | REMOTE GLOBALLY or VISA (London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey) | D/C/C++, Julia, Typescript, Haskell/Ocaml/ML | Full-Time, Fixed Term, Flexible
## Roles we are hiring for - Business Analysts: business analysis, documentation, team and tool design
- Native Code Developers: We are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D. Our experience has been that strong C and C++ developers can learn D quite quickly.
- Functional programmers to work with practitioners in delivering value to the business using Symmetry Integration Language.
- Documentation: At Symmetry we recognise the value of writing and have for example a Pulitzer prize-winning former WSJ journalist and a maintainer of Linux Kernel Newbies documentation. We are looking for people to write technical documentation and to document data structures and processes (open to varying range of technical ability depending on the project).
- Front end design: designers - ideally with some ability to program - to work on usability and aesthetics for our applications and other information-presenting systems, on both web and desktop
- Designers for documentation: Now that non-programming internal work is moving to markdown in git, we are hiring designers to work on templates and mini-logos for documentation and other work.
- Data Science: time series analysis in particular, including high frequency data sets that are too big for simple tools
- Information Security: incident response, threat intelligence, vuln management
- Platform: Platform as Code, Site Reliability Engineers, Windows desktop support; frontline server support and administration; application support
- Legal and Compliance: #lawyerswhocode or who are very comfortable working with markdown in git
- Accounting: are you the sort of person who would use #ledger-cli ? If so, we would like to hear from you.
- Business: risk, operations, administrative, organisational design and business strategy, investor relations processes
- Investment: Economics, Quant, Portfolio Research, Investment Research, Portfolio Management and Trading
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning, alternative data research and management
Location: Remote or sponsorship for a visa in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey
Term: full-time permanent, fixed-term contract, flexible hours.
- Dlang (D)
- we do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
## Qualities and traits we value
- Courage and daring
- Phronesis (practical wisdom), common sense and commercial orientation
- Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be
- Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
- Inclination and ability to notice and understand links between seemingly-unrelated things
- Extreme motivation
- Mechanical sympathy
- Extreme and unusual intellectual capabilities
- A love of tinkering
- Good taste and love of beauty
## About Us
Symmetry Investments is a post startup USD 9+ billion alternative asset management company with around 250 people across multiple time zones and locations.
Our core technology team has been remote-first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, accelerated by the pandemic.
I'm co-CEO and co-COO, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm.
We are five years into a period of transformation from what was initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager. [Amaury Sechet](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR4PSExnqk), [Andrei Alexandrescu](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U7WAlKpQ) and [Atila Neves](https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/) have been working with us as long-term consultants and we have many other talented people with lower public profiles.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming, but are oriented towards solving business problems, with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. SIL can compile and call C++, D, and C# at runtime and interoperate with Python and R.What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D and we have a close involvement with the D Foundation and community, hosting DConf in London. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Haskell, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and Chief Investment Officer starts asking you questions about your work.
## Symmetry Talks
- Presenting SIL-cling to Compiler Research Group at Princeton (https://youtu.be/7teqrCNzrD8)
- Symmetry Internship Project - calling C++ from SIL (http://dconf.org/2020/online/index.html#alexandru)
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://youtu.be/FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://youtu.be/1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)
- Please apply using this link (https://jobs.lever.co/symmetryinvestments/c8a9b95e-bdf0-459c...).
PlantingSpace | REMOTE | Full-time / flexible | https://planting.space
We are an early-stage research and development startup. Our ambitious goal is to build a system capable of understanding knowledge, to answer questions and get things done. Our work leverages cutting-edge domains such as Probabilistic Programming and Applied Category Theory.
- Julia software engineering: to build our core system
- Site reliability engineering (SRE): to build our infrastructure
- Front-end development: to build our user interface in TypeScript and React/Vue
- Research across areas: to develop our theoretical framework
Useful experience: Bayesian statistics, symbolic computing, optimization, category theory, and probabilistic programming.
Find more on our website, and apply to join us: https://planting.space/joinus
Julia Computing | REMOTE | Full Time | juliacomputing.com
Julia Computing is currently hiring for many roles, including* Cloud Engineer * EDA Core System & Compiler Engineer * Julia Application Developer * Scientific GUI and Visualization Engineer * Security Engineer See https://jobs.juliacomputing.com/ for a full list. Note that this includes positions to work on https://cedar-eda.com, in case people are looking to help us fix EDA tooling :)
Most also available in internship format. That said, if you don't find any of these to fit your background, but you still have a strong systems or compiler background - please do shoot me an email - would love to see if we can make something work.
Zoba | full stack engineer, front end engineer, data science, customer success, business development, and more | REMOTE (company is based in Boston and Berlin) | FULLTIME | competitive salary + benefits + equity
Zoba is building the next generation of spatial analytics to improve the efficiency of cities and the lives of the people that live in them. Right now, our customers are primarily micromobility companies interested in questions like "where should we place our vehicles," "how should we rebalance our fleet," and "which vehicles should we discount?" We just closed our series A about 3 months ago .
We're a team of 18 people—expanding rapidly—who believe hard in the power and importance of cities as engines of human well-being. We have openings for both front end and full stack engineering, customer facing or strictly internal, as well as in data science, customer success, business development, and operations. Technical tools used include Python, Django, Postgres, AWS, lots of Airflow, Docker, NLopt, Typescript, React, Julia, Snowflake, and more. Our current engineering work broadly focuses on providing performant optimization APIs and frontend UX built on top of our large mobility dataset: hundreds of millions of rides, hundreds of millions of maintenance events, and growing fast.
We work hard to make Zoba an actively great place to work. Perks include:
- Broad benefit package, including excellent healthcare, mobility credits, etc.
- Sane working hours and carefully defended work/life balance
- Office in Boston for those who prefer in person work
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a suggested minimum number of days (to avoid the slide to people trying to be tough by taking 0 days)
- Plenty of runway and backed by excellent investors including NTTVC, CRV, Founder Collective, and Mark Cuban
You can check out more formal job postings at https://jobs.lever.co/zoba. For any questions about engineering roles, please reach out to Ning, our VP of engineering: email@example.com. My role at Zoba is head of data science. I also bake the cookies in the office. I'm available at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to chat.
Beacon Biosignals | Multiple Positions | NYC, Boston, Remote | Full Time
Brain monitoring is not easily accessible, interpretable or actionable. We're going to fix this, and we'd like you to help.
With improved access to brain data and the right tools to act on it, clinicians could intervene in real-time, match life-altering therapies to the patients they benefit most, and treat previously untreatable neurological and psychiatric diseases.
We're a small startup founded by numerical programmers, neuroscientists, ML researchers, and practicing neurologists who are committed to translating our best-of-breed clinical research from the lab into hospitals and beyond.
Our team is composed of neuro-experts, product development experts, open-source enthusiasts, audio/DSP/compilers nerds, and generally easy-going (but dedicated!) folks.
We believe that:
- Successful product development requires rapid, early feedback from real patients and clinicians.
- Feats of technical wizardry are only useful in combination with honest, frequent, and open communication.
- A diverse team builds more robust systems and practices more meaningful science.
We have a few different roles available, and are always happy to chat with interested folks. Interested in working with PostgreSQL, Typescript, React, and/or Julia daily? Reach out!
To apply, check out https://beacon.bio/careers.