Symmetry Investments | Many Varied Roles | REMOTE or VISA (London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey) | D, Julia, Kotlin, other functional and systems languages | Full-Time, Fixed Term, Flexible
## Roles we are hiring for
- Business Analysts: business analysis, documentation, team and tool design
- Native Code Developers: We are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D. Our experience has been that strong C and C++ developers can learn D quite quickly.
- Functional programmers to work with practitioners in delivering value to the business using Symmetry Integration Language.
- Documentation: At Symmetry we recognise the value of writing and have for example a Pulitzer prize-winning former WSJ journalist and a maintainer of Linux Kernel Newbies documentation. We are looking for people to write technical documentation and to document data structures and processes (open to varying range of technical ability depending on the project).
- Front end design: designers - ideally with some ability to program - to work on usability and aesthetics for our applications and other information-presenting systems, on both web and desktop
- Designers for documentation: Now that non-programming internal work is moving to markdown in git, we are hiring designers to work on templates and mini-logos for documentation and other work.
- Data Science: time series analysis in particular, including high frequency data sets that are too big for simple tools
- Information Security: incident response, threat intelligence, vuln management
- Platform: Platform as Code, Site Reliability Engineers, Windows desktop support; frontline server support and administration; application support
- Legal and Compliance: #lawyerswhocode or who are very comfortable working with markdown in git
- Accounting: are you the sort of person who would use #ledger-cli ? If so, we would like to hear from you.
- Business: risk, operations, administrative, organisational design and business strategy, investor relations processes, talent acquisition, human resources (HR)
- Investment: Economics, Quant, Portfolio Research, Investment Research, Portfolio Management and Trading
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning, alternative data research and management
Location: Remote or sponsorship for a visa in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey
Term: full-time permanent, fixed-term contract, flexible hours.
- Dlang (D)
- we do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
## Qualities and traits we value
- Courage and daring
- Phronesis (practical wisdom), common sense and commercial orientation
- Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be
- Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
- Inclination and ability to notice and understand links between seemingly-unrelated things
- Extreme motivation
- Mechanical sympathy
- Extreme and unusual intellectual capabilities
- A love of tinkering
- Good taste and love of beauty
## About Us
Symmetry Investments is a post startup USD 9+ billion alternative asset management company with around 250 people across multiple time zones and locations.
Our core technology team has been remote-first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, accelerated by the pandemic.
I'm co-CEO and co-COO, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm.
We are five years into a period of transformation from what was initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager. [Amaury Sechet](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR4PSExnqk) and [Atila Neves](https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/) have been working with us as long-term consultants and we have many other talented people with lower public profiles.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming, but are oriented towards solving business problems, with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. SIL can compile and call C++, D, and C# at runtime and interoperate with Python and R. What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D and we have a close involvement with the D Foundation and community, hosting DConf in London. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Haskell, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and Chief Investment Officer starts asking you questions about your work.
## Symmetry Talks
- Presenting SIL-cling to Compiler Research Group at Princeton (https://youtu.be/7teqrCNzrD8)
- Symmetry Internship Project - calling C++ from SIL (http://dconf.org/2020/online/index.html#alexandru)
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://youtu.be/FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://youtu.be/1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)
- Please apply using this general link (https://jobs.lever.co/symmetryinvestments/c8a9b95e-bdf0-459c...) or to specific roles listed here (https://jobs.lever.co/symmetryinvestments?lever-source%5B%5D...).
Basis Research Institute | Research Scientist/Engineer, Ops, Interns | In-person + Hybrid | http://basis.ai
Basis is a new nonprofit research institute. We're building a foundation of (approximately) universal reasoning-based AI, to help solve hard scientific and societal problems in collaboration with domain experts.
Research scientists/engineers, get in touch if you're passionate about any of:
- Compilation / program transformations
- Probabilistic programming
- Probabilistic ML
- Bayesian / Causal inference
- Program synthesis & analysis
- Strong programmer. esp. Julia, Python, C++, ML-family
- Comfortable digesting research e.g. from PLDI, POPL, NeurIPS or ICML
Operations people get in touch if you're interesting in building a new kind of organization from the ground up.
Apply to roles at https://www.basis.ai/join-us/ and/or write to email@example.com for more info.
PlantingSpace | REMOTE (Europe time) | Full-time | https://planting.space
We are an early-stage research and development startup, with an ambitious goal to build a system capable of understanding knowledge, to answer questions and get things done.
Our work leverages cutting-edge domains such as Probabilistic Programming and Applied Category Theory. Initially we’re focussed on building a system that can receive queries in natural or domain specific language, provide good answers and an insight into its reasoning.
We look for senior technologists with skills in:
- Software engineering (Julia): to build our core system
- Research across areas: to develop our theoretical framework
Useful experience: algorithms, Bayesian statistics, symbolic computing, optimization, category theory, information theory.
If you want to learn more about our company, get some insights into what it’s like to work in our team and participate in our retreats, check our out Join Us page: https://planting.space/joinus
To see a full list of openings, and to apply, follow this link: https://jobs.lever.co/planting.space
Brown University, Center for Computation and Visualization | Research Software Engineer | Data Scientist | Providence, RI | Full-time | On-site & Hybrid | https://ccv.brown.edu
The Brown University Center for Computation and Visualization (CCV) is a research computing center with a team of data scientists, research software engineers, system administrators, and other technologists. We partner with researchers across the Brown University community, as well as the associated hospital partners. We work on problems that span a huge continuum of subject matter areas. We currently have several long-running collaborations with researchers across many disciplines (e.g., neuroscience, computational biology, computer vision, psychiatry, sociology, engineering, environmental science, public health).
Our data scientists and research software engineers partner with researchers to solve hugely diverse problems. The nature of our work varies considerably depending on the projects, but we consistently have research projects that involve machine learning, web app development, mobile apps, high-performance computing (HPC), genomics data, VR/AR.
Our general tech stack includes: Python, R, Julia, Rust, Node, Vue, React, MySQL, Postgres, Docker, and GCP. In addition, on the HPC side of the house we add to that: C, C++, Fortran, and CUDA.
We have a few roles open now, and plan to have more in the coming months. We especially encourage folks from historically under-represented groups to apply. The postings are listed at the link below. Check us out; we'd love to hear from you!!