OVHcloud | France | Full-time (up to 60% remote) | https://ovh.com/
OVHcloud's ambition is to become the #1 cloud services provider in EU, and a worldwide contender to AWS, AZURE, GCP, etc.
On the Domain Names team (we're the registrar department at OVHcloud), we currently have 2 open positions:
* Production Squad: Level 3 technical support (basically help customers fix issues related to their domain name on our system), internal tooling (scripts, user interfaces, whatever we might need) and reliability projects (monitoring/alerting, tech debt rationalization, legacy code migration). We tried our best to make this team attractive by avoiding the "only fix havoc". This team is responsible for a lot of cool projects. Job description: https://careers.ovh.com/fr/offres/developpeur-noms-de-domain...
* Business Squad: Design and implementation of new business features bringing money to the company. There's a lot to be done in the domain names world: aftermarkets, promotions, bundles, availability spying, costs & revenues tracking... Job description: not online yet, contact me directly
Technical Stack for both teams: Go, Perl, React/TypeScript, microservices.
Note: we're currently only looking for French speaking people, located in France. This is because the Domain Names team is fully located in France.
Feel free to email me if you need any more information: thibaut.rousseau at ovhcloud dot com
Symmetry Investments | Many Varied Roles | REMOTE or VISA (London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey) | D, Julia, Kotlin, other functional and systems languages | Full-Time, Fixed Term, Flexible
## Roles we are hiring for
- Developers, documentation, UX: We are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners using Symmetry Integration Language to deliver value to the business. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
- Platform as code: DevOps, infosec, documentation, process designers, team and tool design, Windows and Linux desktop support, system / server administration
- Legal: #lawyerswhocode or who are very comfortable working with markdown in git
- Business: risk, operations, legal, compliance, finance, administrative, organisational design, documentation, internal communication, investor relations processes
- Investment: economics, analytics, portfolio research, investment research
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning
Location: Remote or sponsorship for a visa in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey
Term: full-time, fixed-term contract, flexible hours
- Dlang (D)
- we do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
## Qualities and traits we value
- Courage and daring
- Phronesis (practical wisdom), common sense and commercial orientation
- Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be
- Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
- Inclination and ability to notice and understand links between seemingly-unrelated things
- Extreme motivation
- Mechanical sympathy
- Extreme and unusual intellectual capabilities
- A love of tinkering
- Good taste and love of beauty
## About Us
Symmetry Investments is a post startup USD 7 billion + alternative asset management company with around 220 people across multiple time zones and locations.
Our core technology team has been remote first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, post-COVID.
I'm one of the three people running the firm, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm.
We are three years into a period of transformation from what was initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager. Andrei Alexandrescu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U7WAlKpQ) and Atila Neves (https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/) have been working with us as long-term consultants and we have many other talented people with lower public profiles.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming, but are oriented towards solving business problems, with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. SIL can compile and call C++ and D at runtime; Python interop is in alpha; and C# is on the way. What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D, we hosted dconf last year and will do so again this year. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and CIO starts asking you questions about your work.
## Symmetry Talks
- Symmetry Internship Project - calling C++ from SIL (http://dconf.org/2020/online/index.html#alexandru)
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://youtu.be/FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://youtu.be/1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)
- Email hiring at symmetry.dev and cc jthompson at symmetryinvestments dot com.
ActiveState | Full-time | REMOTE (core hours North American west coast) | https://grnh.se/772329f92us
ActiveState Platform - made by developers for developers! We are reinventing build engineering with an on-demand SaaS Platform and CLI tool that lets developers automate the building of any runtime environment using any open source language ecosystem on any platform. Right now we support Python and Perl and we're hiring to add more languages and packages! We’re building an ambitious language distribution platform so that no engineer ever has to suffer dependency hell again, and we need your help to build it.
The Build Engineer positions are coding positions where you work on tools that do distributed builds. We're also looking for an Elm Developer.
I'm a Team Lead here at ActiveState, though none of the open positions are on my team right now. Please email me at email@example.com if you have any questions.