SkyhawkTx | Platform Engineer (Data+DevOps) | Boston, MA | REMOTE start, eventually ONSITE preferred | Full-Time
Skyhawk Therapeutics seeks a Data+DevOps Engineer to join our growing Platform team in Boston, MA (starting remotely during the pandemic with relocation assistance in 2021)
Skyhawk is committed to discovering, developing and commercializing small molecule therapeutics that correct RNA splicing. We use our novel SkySTAR platform to develop drug candidates for some of the world’s most intractable diseases including cancer, neurological conditions, and other therapeutic areas/targets previously considered “undruggable.”
Skyhawk is looking for a multi-talented Data and DevOps engineer to join our Platform team. In this role, you will work closely with a diverse team of world-class scientists and engineers. You will help us accelerate Skyhawk’s novel drug discovery and development platform, SkySTAR. Your primary responsibilities will be to design, implement, deploy, and maintain data-processing and -modeling toolbox that powers collaborative interactions between scientists on our platform and makes optimal use of our rich in-house data. This is a key technical role providing many opportunities for significant impact and growth. You will learn from a cross-functional team of experts in Machine Learning, Bioinformatics, Genomics, Structural Biology, Chemistry, and Drug Discovery. You will manage unique scientific data, help grow Skyhawk’s collaborative data science culture, and ultimately enable better health for our patients!
More info and application instructions at: https://skyhawktx.page.link/platform_engineer
[edit: and also pasted below for keyword searchers]
• Design, implement, and maintain ETL workflows from multiple internal & external data sources
• Deploy and maintain a data warehouse that cleans and fuses data for our cloud ML workflows
• Utilize cloud APIs to support the prototyping, training, and deployment of predictive models
• Continuously deploy predictive models and insights curated from them to interactive dashboards
• Record usage analytics and gather expert feedback on predictors to improve our ML workflows
• Establish robust CI/CD practices for our code, data, and results to minimize technical debt
• Collaborate widely across the entire R&D team to codify their insights and meet their use cases
• Manage project timelines and schedules of projects with internal personnel and external vendors
• BS/MS in a technical field or related background with at least 3 years of practical experience (preferred: Computer Science, Applied Math/Statistics, Physics, Chem/Bio Engineering)
• Expertise in one or more general-purpose programming languages (we use: Python, R, Perl, Julia)
• Demonstrated ability to write production code (readable, maintainable, tested, and documented)
• Demonstrated experience in building cloud-based data infrastructure (we use: GCP and AWS)
• Experience with wrapping & deploying models from ML frameworks (we mainly use: TensorFlow)
• Familiarity with user-facing web services and applications (we use: Spotfire, Jupyter, R/Shiny, Dash)
• Proficiency in Linux (including shell scripting), experience with database languages (SQL or No-SQL) and experience with code/data/workflow version control practices and tools (we use: git/dvc/cml)
• Experience with biochemical and genomic data is a plus (we use: RNA sequences, chemoinformatics)
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and manage priorities flexibly.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; organizational and documentation skills.
• Relaxed and fun attitude that helps good culture building. Passion for improving people’s health!
To Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
A COVER LETTER IS REQUIRED. Please explain why and detail how this job fits your interests well.
Symmetry Investments | Many Varied Roles | REMOTE or VISA (London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey) | D, Julia, Kotlin, other functional and systems languages | Full-Time, Fixed Term, Flexible
Roles we are hiring for:
- Technical: developers, DevOps, infosec, documentation, UX, process designers, documentation, team and tool design, Windows and Linux desktop support, system / server administration
- Business: risk, operations, legal, compliance, finance, administrative, organisational design, documentation, internal communication, investor relations processes
- Investment: economics, analytics, portfolio research, investment research
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning
Location: Remote or sponsorship for a visa in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey
Term: Full-time, fixed-term contract, flexible hours
Languages: Dlang (D), Julia, Kotlin. We do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
Qualities and traits we value: Curiosity, Extreme motivation, Mechanical sympathy, Extreme intellectual capabilities, A love of tinkering, Resourcefulness, Good taste and love of beauty, Common sense and commercial orientation, Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be, Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
Symmetry Investments is a post startup c. USD 6.5 billion alternative asset management company with around 220 people across multiple time zones and locations. Our core technology team has been remote first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, post-COVID.
I'm one of the three people running the firm, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm. We are three years into a period of transformation from initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming but are oriented towards solving their business problems with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D, we hosted dconf last year and will do so again this year. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and CIO starts asking you questions about your work.
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)
- Symmetry Autumn of Code (https://dlang.org/blog/2020/08/23/symmetry-autumn-of-code-20...)
Contact: Email laeeth at kaleidic.io and cc jthompson at symmetryinvestments dot com.
ActiveState | Full-time and Contract | REMOTE | https://grnh.se/772329f92us
ActiveState Platform - made by developers for developers! We are reinventing build engineering with an on-demand SaaS Platform and CLI tool that lets developers automate the building of any runtime environment using any open source language ecosystem on any platform. In Beta right now, we support Python and Perl and we're hiring to add more languages and packages! We’re building an ambitious language distribution platform so that no engineer ever has to suffer dependency hell again, and we need your help to build it.
Most of the positions listed have Build Engineer in the title, but these are for two different teams. The positions with "BE" in the code like "2-2020BE" are focused on fixing build problems (package X failed to build on platform Y). The positions with "LE" like "2-2020LE" are coding positions where you work on tools that do distributed builds.
The internships are only available to Canadian students in undergrad or grad school programs.
I'm a Team Lead here at ActiveState, though only the Platform Builder intern position is on my team right now. Please email me at email@example.com if you have any questions.
The Register (Situation Publishing) | Sysadmin/Devops | REMOTE / EMEA / UTC±2:00
The Register: https://www.theregister.com/
El Reg's small tech team is (still! I know!) looking for a sysadmin/devops human who can wrangle the Debian GNU/Linux-based systems that run a mix of open-source software and the closed-source Perl/Bash tooling.
Fully remote, though ideally you'll be in a UTC±2:00 TZ.
More details on: https://www.theregister.com/Page/devoops.html