Symmetry Investments | Many Varied Roles | REMOTE or VISA (London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey) | D, Julia, Kotlin, other functional and systems languages | Full-Time, Fixed Term, Flexible
## Roles we are hiring for
- Business Analysts: business analysis, documentation, team and tool design
- Native Code Developers: We are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D. Our experience has been that strong C and C++ developers can learn D quite quickly.
- Functional Developers to work with Practitioners using Symmetry Integration Language to deliver value to the business.
- Documentation: At Symmetry we recognise the value of writing and have for example a Pulitzer prize-winning former WSJ journalist and a maintainer of Linux Kernel Newbies documentation. We are looking for people to write technical documentation and to document data structures and processes (open to varying range of technical ability depending on the project).
- Designers for documentation. Now that non-programming internal work is moving to markdown in git, we are hiring designers to work on templates and mini-logos for documentation and other work.
- Information Security: incident response, threat intelligence, vuln management
- Platform: Platform as Code, Site Reliability Engineers, Windows desktop support; frontline server support and administration
- Legal and Compliance: #lawyerswhocode or who are very comfortable working with markdown in git
- Accounting: are you the sort of person who would use #ledger-cli ? If so, we would like to hear from you.
- Business: risk, operations, administrative, organisational design and business strategy, investor relations processes
- Investment: Economics, Quant, Portfolio Research, Investment Research, Portfolio Management and Trading
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning, alternative data research and management
Location: Remote or sponsorship for a visa in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey
Term: full-time permanent, fixed-term contract, flexible hours.
- Dlang (D)
- we do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
## Qualities and traits we value
- Courage and daring
- Phronesis (practical wisdom), common sense and commercial orientation
- Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be
- Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
- Inclination and ability to notice and understand links between seemingly-unrelated things
- Extreme motivation
- Mechanical sympathy
- Extreme and unusual intellectual capabilities
- A love of tinkering
- Good taste and love of beauty
## About Us
Symmetry Investments is a post startup USD 7+ billion alternative asset management company with around 230 people across multiple time zones and locations.
Our core technology team has been remote-first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, post-COVID.
I'm one of the three people running the firm, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm.
We are four years into a period of transformation from what was initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager. [Amaury Sechet](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR4PSExnqk), [Andrei Alexandrescu](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U7WAlKpQ) and [Atila Neves](https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/) have been working with us as long-term consultants and we have many other talented people with lower public profiles.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming, but are oriented towards solving business problems, with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. SIL can compile and call C++ and D at runtime; Python interop is in alpha; and C# is on the way. What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D and we have a close involvement with the D Foundation and community, hosting DConf in London. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Haskell, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and CIO starts asking you questions about your work.
## Symmetry Talks
- Presenting SIL-cling to Compiler Research Group at Princeton (https://youtu.be/7teqrCNzrD8)
- Symmetry Internship Project - calling C++ from SIL (http://dconf.org/2020/online/index.html#alexandru)
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://youtu.be/FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://youtu.be/1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)
- Please apply using this link (https://jobs.lever.co/symmetryinvestments/c8a9b95e-bdf0-459c...).
Fastmail (https://www.fastmail.com ) | System Engineer | Philadelphia, PA | ONSITE (Post -COVID | Full-Time
At Fastmail, we’re bringing the human touch back to email. We have three email services:
- With Fastmail email, get the privacy and respect that you deserve while using thoughtfully designed email, calendars, and contacts.
- With Topicbox email lists, share and preserve the knowledge your team puts into email by giving the right people access to the conversations that move work forward.
- With Pobox emailing forwarding, get the service that gives you control of your email identity wherever life may take you.
We’re looking for an Systems Engineer to join the Fastmail team in our Philadelphia office. You’ll spend your time hands-on maintaining, improving, and building out the infrastructure that runs our services. We host everything ourselves in physical datacenter. (If you’re curious: we use Debian, Bash, Perl, Apache, Consul, Cyrus, MySQL, Nginx, Postfix, Prometheus, and of course many other things.)
Find more details here: https://www.fastmail.com/about/jobs/2021-05-syseng/
Email us at email@example.com to introduce yourself and tell us why you would be a good fit for the job. Send us a resume (as a PDF, please). More importantly, though, have something else to say! Let us know what you’re interested in, what makes the job interesting, and anything else you want to tell us up front.
BlackRock – Aladdin Wealth | New York, NY / San Francisco, CA / Atlanta, GA | Full-time ONSITE, VISA | Front-end Software Engineer / Senior Back-end Software Engineer / Data Engineer | We have 5-7 positions available immediately on my team building Aladdin Wealth (https://www.blackrock.com/aladdin/products/aladdin-wealth), a revenue-generating FinTech SaaS product for the wealth management industry. We apply BlackRock's sophisticated risk analytics to millions of individual investors' portfolios to help them and their financial advisors create better portfolios. We have live production clients in countries around the world and we process and analyze millions of real customer portfolios using Spark on a daily basis.
The front-end roles are focused on our web apps building out new features and better user experiences in React framework. We're looking for people who are super proficient in React/ES6/TypeScript and want to work with and leverage modern tools and techniques to the fullest. Front-end team also works on and owns various Java-based application servers, so there is a full-stack component, as well, but it leans more to the frontend side.
The back-end roles are for experienced engineers to architect, develop, and deploy scalable services and APIs. We work with a wide array of technologies (Java, Scala, Kotlin, Spark, Hadoop, Cassandra, Solr, Python), but solid Java is the backbone.
There is one Data Engineering role (3-5 years experience) available in NYC. This role is focused on building process automation, data ETL, and some data science & analysis, primarily in Python with occasional R and Perl.
In all of the roles, diving deep into the business, learning Aladdin, portfolio management, investment analytics (factor risk models, VaR, tracking error, historical scenarios, etc), and the wealth management industry, will be a big part of your success. Reach out to me directly if interested. I lead the global team that is hiring these roles: firstname.lastname@example.org. Full job descriptions and application instructions at below links for some roles, but not all have been posted externally.
Note for VISA applicants: We can only consider applicants that are already in the US with existing work authorization (H1B transfers, OPT, etc).
On REMOTE work: We do not offer fully remote work, so you must be in the US already and able to work from NY, SF, or ATL area. Of course, we are working remotely during Covid, but expect to be at least partially in office this year.
Job listings (not all roles posted externally yet): https://careers.blackrock.com/job/12156096/java-software-eng... https://careers.blackrock.com/job/12742201/software-engineer... https://careers.blackrock.com/job/12474827/software-engineer...