Symmetry Investments | Many Varied Roles | REMOTE or VISA (London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey) | D, Julia, Kotlin, other functional and systems languages | Full-Time, Fixed Term, Flexible
## Roles we are hiring for
- Business Analysts: business analysis, documentation, team and tool design
- Native Code Developers: We are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D. Our experience has been that strong C and C++ developers can learn D quite quickly.
- Functional Developers to work with Practitioners using Symmetry Integration Language to deliver value to the business.
- Documentation: At Symmetry we recognise the value of writing and have for example a Pulitzer prize-winning former WSJ journalist and a maintainer of Linux Kernel Newbies documentation. We are looking for people to write technical documentation and to document data structures and processes (open to varying range of technical ability depending on the project).
- Designers for documentation. Now that non-programming internal work is moving to markdown in git, we are hiring designers to work on templates and mini-logos for documentation and other work.
- Data Science: time series analysis in particular, including high frequency data sets that are too big for simple tools
- Information Security: incident response, threat intelligence, vuln management
- Platform: Platform as Code, Site Reliability Engineers, Windows desktop support; frontline server support and administration; application support
- Legal and Compliance: #lawyerswhocode or who are very comfortable working with markdown in git
- Accounting: are you the sort of person who would use #ledger-cli ? If so, we would like to hear from you.
- Business: risk, operations, administrative, organisational design and business strategy, investor relations processes
- Investment: Economics, Quant, Portfolio Research, Investment Research, Portfolio Management and Trading
- Market Data: contract administration, data cleaning, alternative data research and management
Location: Remote or sponsorship for a visa in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, Jersey
Term: full-time permanent, fixed-term contract, flexible hours.
- Dlang (D)
- we do not use but value experience in modern C++, beautiful C, Haskell, Ocaml, Rust, Elm
## Qualities and traits we value
- Courage and daring
- Phronesis (practical wisdom), common sense and commercial orientation
- Practical people who are at the same time unreasonable when they ought to be
- Highly individual people oriented to promoting survival and flourishing of the group
- Inclination and ability to notice and understand links between seemingly-unrelated things
- Extreme motivation
- Mechanical sympathy
- Extreme and unusual intellectual capabilities
- A love of tinkering
- Good taste and love of beauty
## About Us
Symmetry Investments is a post startup USD 7+ billion alternative asset management company with around 230 people across multiple time zones and locations.
Our core technology team has been remote-first for some time, and the whole company is following suit, post-COVID.
I'm one of the three people running the firm, responsible amongst other things for technology across the firm and I’m posting this myself. That should give you an idea both about how seriously we take technology and the culture of the firm.
We are four years into a period of transformation from what was initially a fairly standard enterprise finance technology approach to something new that recognises the importance of both the humane and the technical for discretionary portfolio management and for the business of running an alternative investment manager. [Amaury Sechet](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR4PSExnqk), [Andrei Alexandrescu](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U7WAlKpQ) and [Atila Neves](https://dlang.org/blog/2019/10/15/my-vision-of-ds-future/) have been working with us as long-term consultants and we have many other talented people with lower public profiles.
It's not easy to integrate practitioners who may spend most of their day programming, but are oriented towards solving business problems, with developers who are specialists in programming. To achieve this, we wrote a little functional DSL that's now in production. Type inference of returns and parameters using inequality constraints is in a feature branch and there is plenty more to do on the language itself as well as the ecosystem around it. SIL can compile and call C++ and D at runtime; Python interop is in alpha; and C# is on the way. What might be a project in itself elsewhere can be just a set of functions in Symmetry Integration Language.
The language is written in D and we have a close involvement with the D Foundation and community, hosting DConf in London. So we are looking for outstanding native code developers who would like to write D as well as people to work with practitioners writing Symmetry Integration Language. Also looking for people to write documentation and work on the build.
It's quite a creative place where we encourage a degree of courage amidst practical constraints, and we are open to doing things a different way if it's commercially sound and in the interests of our investors.
We look for virtues and capabilities over only experience and credentials although those things aren't a disadvantage. Do not let a lack of credentials or qualifications prevent you from applying. We've recently hired experts with C++, Common Lisp, D, Haxe, Haskell, Julia and Perl backgrounds, and are happy to bring them up to speed with the tools we use.
Compensation is currently not quite at Netflix standards but is generous to very generous over time by broad technology industry standards. We recognise and reward technical accomplishment and have a very flat structure - don't be surprised if our founder and CIO starts asking you questions about your work.
## Symmetry Talks
- Presenting SIL-cling to Compiler Research Group at Princeton (https://youtu.be/7teqrCNzrD8)
- Symmetry Internship Project - calling C++ from SIL (http://dconf.org/2020/online/index.html#alexandru)
- All Spreadsheets Must Die (https://youtu.be/FZi9CSB9_kk)
- Lessons from a DSL where all you have is Ranges (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuzSlKRmzA)
- Alternative Investment Management (https://youtu.be/1rMq-4rWgis)
- Symmetry GitHub (https://github.com/symmetryinvestments)
- Please apply using this link (https://jobs.lever.co/symmetryinvestments/c8a9b95e-bdf0-459c...).
CareRev (YC S16) | Software Engineers | Fully Remote w/HQ in Los Angeles, CA | Full-Time We are hiring software engineers, project managers, and product managers of all levels.
CareRev's mission is to seamlessly connect healthcare facilities and professionals. Through our marketplace platform, we offer efficiency, flexibility, and opportunities for growth.
We recently took $50 million Series A funding round and we are growing rapidly!
Our stack is currently Ruby/Rails, React, Elm, and Postgres deployed on Heroku. We also leverage Kafka and Python within our data team. We also strategically leverage AWS services including RDS, EC2, S3, Lambda, IAM. We are also using Terraform to provision AWS and use over 40 services.
Find our careers page with all our postings here - https://grnh.se/072b12f63us
Backend Rails - Junior, Midlevel, Senior, Staff, and Principal (1+ years experience)
Frontend React - Junior, Midlevel, Senior, Staff, and Principal (0+ years experience)
iOS Native (Swift) - Mid, Sr, Staff (2+ years experience)
Android Native (Kotlin) - Mid, Sr, Staff (2+ years experience)
Devops - Senior, Staff (5+ years experience)
Data Engineer - Mid, Sr, Staff (2+ years experience)
Data Analyst - Senior (5+ years experience)
Technical Project Managers - Senior, Director levels (5+ years managing custom software development projects)
Engineering Manager (4+ years managing software teams, and preferably even more professional experience in software engineering projects - many types of backgrounds will be considered)
Product Managers - Mid, Senior, Staff (5+ years experience)
Support Engineer - Truly Entry Level!! - Recent Bootcamp & CS grads - this is your chance!
Security Engineer - COMING SOON! IT Helpdesk - COMING SOON! Data Scientist - COMING SOON! Salesforce Engineer - COMING SOON! Business Systems Engineer - COMING SOON!
Feel free to email me if you have questions: jody[at]carerev[dot]com
NoRedInk | Full-Stack Engineers, Growth Engineers, Platform Engineers, Engineering Managers, Quality Assurance (QA) Engineers, Data Analysts, and Tooling & Infrastructure Engineers | REMOTE from time zones between (and including) Pacific Time (PST) through Central European Time (CET)
We’re a growing ed-tech company on a mission to help all students become better writers! NoRedInk is used by 1 in 2 school districts in the US, and students have answered over 5 billion questions on our platform. If you're looking to join a team of friendly people who listen to and learn from each other, discuss past mistakes openly as we adapt to the challenges that come with progress, all while realizing our mission, then you'll be excited to learn more about us.
Our colleagues span six time zones, California to Berlin and points in between, with lively discourse flowing freely across Slack, Zoom, and the office when we're able to be there. Wherever we're working from, we've always delighted in our work to ship new features—beginning with our curriculum and product teams, designers, through to testing by our dedicated quality assurance folks—that put teachers and students first. 
Our engineering team  takes prides in producing innovative, maintainable software. We use the cutting-edge Elm programming language for all our front-end development. Our back-end is primarily Ruby on Rails by lines of code, though we're actively moving toward Haskell; the majority of our traffic now goes through a Haskell service. We use Amazon AWS for our infrastructure orchestrated primarily using Kubernetes. We write a lot of tests, and use Jenkins for continuous integration. We've also developed and maintain several useful open-source projects.  You can read about our experiences with these technologies on our team blog. 
We’re looking for engineers who want to work on a mission that makes a difference and who are the type of collaborators that value kindness and open-mindedness. If that's you, you can learn more about our interview process  and on-boarding experience , and you should definitely apply through our jobs page! 
Supercede | Software Developer (Haskell) | REMOTE | Full Time
Supercede (formerly Riskbook) builds industry-leading risk placement and analytics software for the reinsurance industry. We are currently a team of 18 people distributed across eight countries. About half of the team are developers, all of which spend most of their time writing Haskell, Elm, and Nix. We're all-in on functional programming, and we're looking for more help.
You must have demonstrable experience building things in idiomatic Haskell, and you should have a solid understanding of how web applications typically work. You should be able to communicate clearly in English, but you do not need to speak excellent English (our team speaks Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch, German, Italian, French, and more). You'll have flexible working hours and you can work from anywhere, though this is a full-time position and the expectation is that of work based on a traditional 40 hour week, with 25 days of paid annual holiday in addition to your country's national holidays.
We favour asynchronous communication, and try to hire "managers of one". We don't do daily stand-ups. We don't count your hours. We don't work weekends. We support each other in working and learning, and we have a dedicated fortnightly "Research Day" where every programmer is free to not do chores for the product, and instead investigate/learn/play with whatever technology they choose. Want to learn more about type-level programming? Property-based testing? Expert systems? Go right ahead!
Please write me a brief email introducing yourself with your résumé attached to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enbala | Denver, CO / Vancouver, BC / Remote for strong candidates | Full-time | https://www.enbala.com
We're working to make the future of energy production more sustainable by helping energy utility companies balance the grid. This includes everything from helping lower peak energy usage (removing the need to, say, build an expensive new coal power plant that would only be run a few days a year) to balancing decentralized production from household solar.
Our back-end is written in Elixir, and our front-end is Elm. We have a strong cultural focus on things that make devs' lives better day-to-day—things like testing, being kind & helpful to one another, code reviews that are valuable for both parties, continual improvement in our processes, etc.
Selected open roles at the time of this writing:
- Senior devops engineer
- Senior software engineer
- Software engineer
- Product manager
- UI/UX product designer
More info here: https://www.enbala.com/about/careers/